Monday, October 7, 2013

Musing Inspired by a Blog Post on Diversity Abroad

I just finished reading a post on Diversity Abroad’s blog entitled  “The Minority Advantage: The Benefits of Being a Minority Abroad” By Antonio Reyes.

The four advantages that Antonio gives are as follows:
" First, minority students often discover that their uniqueness facilitates conversation, creates curiosity, and attracts people."
"Second, minority students often find that they adapt quickly to their host community because of their minority experience in the U.S. As a minority in the U.S..."
"Third, you might be the only person from your minority group that people from your host country will ever meet."
" Finally, as a minority student, you might find it easier to accept different perspectives and be more open-minded about different cultures."

Antonio’s blog post got me thinking and of course I wanted to share my thoughts with you:

As a minority from the United States who has studied abroad and has traveled abroad numerous times I can relate to the advantages that Mr. Reyes discusses. As a minority student/traveler there have been numerous times in which I was the only person that looked like me in my classes, at the restaurants and bars I went to, other social events that I participated in etc. rather than feeling like an outsider or an other, I made it a point to just be Kory and embrace the experience. It wasn’t about me being different but about me being me and fully embracing the experience that was right in front of me. 

I have found that my uniqueness has definitely sparked conversation from my classmates, professors, and general people in which I interacted with abroad. There has been open curiosity from others, some of which was from ignorance due to limited or no interaction with someone who looked like me, had my type of hair texture, features etc. My attitude of just being me and embracing the experience has yielded to many amazing experiences abroad. I am thankful to say that most of my experiences with those who have never been around someone like me has been a pleasant one. The experiences that were not as pleasant served as learning tools and opportunities to increase my tolerance and increase my level of compassion for others. (I can say that now even if I wasn’t thinking that then ;-))

While in Mexico one person told me that she liked the people that came to visit and study in her country with my skin tone because we seemed more open to learn about her culture, language because they are very welcoming to see how she and her people live. I was a bit surprised that she opened up to me and shared that with me. I definitely was not expecting to hear anything like that. I could tell that she meant what she said. That made me think that I was not only representing myself but I was representing others too. I would hope that she has better experiences with other individuals who do not look like me so that she can have the same sentiments for others that she has for me and those that look like me.

Often times when those who have not had an experience with someone like me met and interact with me whether for a short or an extended period of time walked a way with a positive experience and a sense of some of our similarities and differences. The similarities and differences gave those I met a spark and opportunity for the person and I to learn more about each other, our cultures, languages etc.  We often learned that we had many more similarities than we may have initially thought. After all, if we take away or distinguishing features we are all people with blood running through our veins. The same thing could be said when learning about different people and cultures whether we are abroad or not. 

 Don't forget to check out Antonio's blog post The Minority Advantage: The Benefits of Being a Minority Abroad"

 Hasta el Proximo Vez,

KoMiSa

No comments:

Post a Comment