Saturday, March 24, 2012

It's Never to Early to Start Talking About Studying Abroad


Yesterday, I had the opportunity to go to my former elementary school Central Elementary School, which has since expanded and been renamed the Rosa Parks Central Community School to participate in  their Career Day. Since my passion lies in working with students and studying abroad I jumped at the chance to plant the seed early about this educational option with the elementary and middle school students that I spoke with. After all, it is never to early to plant the seed and introduce the students to a potential educational opportunity. I spoke to three fourth grade classes and one seventh grade class. The students blew me away, especially the fourth graders. They were truly engaged in what I was sharing with them. In one of the classes the students continually had their hands raised to ask me questions, to answer the questions that I asked them to foster dialogue and to share what they learned. When my time was up they did not want the discussion to end and neither did I. They even asked for the website to this blog so they could read it. Ms. Formus’ fourth grade class, if you are reading this entry this is a shout out to you and the other students that I spoke to during career day.

I had a wonderful time sharing my passion for studying aboard with all of the students. It was an added bonus that I had the opportunity to speak to the current class of my 6th grade teacher, Mrs. Tynes who now teaches a great class of fourth graders. She had no idea I was coming to career day so she was pleasantly surprised. It was such a blessing to be able to come back to my elementary school and give back to my former teachers and let them know that I used the educational foundation that they helped to cultivate to become the person that I am today.

Thank you the Assistant Principal, Kirstin Riddick for inviting me to Career Day at Rosa Parks Central Community School and giving me the opportunity to share my passion for studying abroad with the next generation of students who will one day study abroad. Thank you to all of the teachers and students for opening up your classrooms and being so welcoming and engaging. 

KoMiSa’s Take Away Thoughts: We are blessed to be a blessing to others and my experiences studying abroad and sharing that passion with students at Rosa Parks Central Community School allowed me to do just that. Seize those opportunities to give back while sharing your passion and you too will be planting a seed and blessing others with the passion and knowledge that has been ignited and cultivated within you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment