Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sharing My Love for HBCUs

This past Tuesday I had the opportunity to speak at the Malcolm Bernard  Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) Fair. It was such a great site to see so over 40 HBCUs in attendance as well as the many high schools who brought their students.

Anyone who really knows me knows that I am a proud HBCU alumnus and take every opportunity  to share my experience being an HBCU student at Hampton University. When I chose Hampton University I knew that I made the right decision but I had no idea of the blessings that were to come. At Hampton University I not only excelled academically but I  met some of the greatest friends I could ever ask for. It gave me the opportunity to connect to some of my cousins who lived in the city of Hampton and to meet other cousins who graduated from Hampton University and were working there when I was a student.

Hampton University was the place where I learned about the various study abroad opportunities and greatly increased my desire to travel and experience other cultures first hand. The family atmosphere that is fostered, which is common in many HBCUs, and the relationships that I have built with some of my professors, faculty, and fellow alumni are still strong to this day.

I have earned additional degrees at other universities both here and abroad, but there is nothing like the feeling that I get when reminiscing, visiting and/ or sharing my amazing experience attending an HBCU.

Choosing a college experience is an important decision. You want to choose a school in which you feel that you can excel academically, build a strong network, and enjoy all that college life has to offer. I received that and more attending an HBCU. Although I did not attend the Malcolm Bernard HBCU Fair when I was in college I am glad to know that it is a resource for so many students today. It was a pleasure to have been a speaker for the past two years. Interacting with the students and having a dialogue with them gives the degree I earned yet another dimension to inspire and help others. I look forward to participating again next year.

For more information on the Malcolm Bernard Historically Black College and University see the link below.
www.hbcu-cfnj.com/

For information on Hampton University see the link below.
www.hamptonu.edu/


Hasta el Proximo Vez,

KoMiSa

No comments:

Post a Comment