Saturday, September 15, 2012

Are You Registered to Vote???

                                              
 
I loved my 8th grade English Class. Mrs. Russo knew how to make learning fun.  I read some great books and even had a poem published that year, but learning about the Presidential Election that took place proved to be one of the best projects that I have done in middle school that still impacts my life today. The year was 1996, Former President Clinton, Former President George Bush and Mr. Ross Perot were running for office.

The project taught me to learn about each of the perspective candidates, their platforms, and each political party that was represented. From the newspaper articles that were read, the television programs that were watched and discussed in class, and the analysis of the speeches made; looking back my classmates and I were some well informed eighth graders. Too bad we couldn't vote then lol. However, we sure are eligible to vote now!

 On the heels of the Republican and the Democratic Conventions, it is so important that all who are eligible to vote in this year's Presidential election vote!!!

Government decisions play a huge role in many of the topics that I write about such study abroad/ international programs and the grants/ scholarships that help students to participate in them and we all are well aware of the impact that the government has on our economy and the job market. Therefore it is imperative that we pay attention and vote!!!

Vote like your life depends on it because in so many ways it does. You have a voice that many people fought so hard for many of you to have so who are you not to follow through on their efforts.

As Ed Gordon said on BET's coverage of the DNC "I am not here to tell you who to vote for. I am here to tell you to vote."

If you are not registered to vote there is no time like the present. Check out the  links below for more information on voting:

Rock the Vote: http://www.rockthevote.org/
http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/Voting.shtml


VOTE!!! Don't think of it as a choice but a blessed obligation.

Hasta el proximo vez,

KoMiSa

No comments:

Post a Comment