Saturday, November 16, 2013

New Section- The Road to My Promised Land

I have thought about adding a section to my blog, Road to the Promised Land, aka my career in Study Abroad, for months. Looking back over my life my career started with my wanting to learn a new language as a toddler. This wanting opened me up to learning about various cultures and the languages that are spoken in different cultures/countries. Fast forward to college, I took as many opportunities as I could to study abroad and travel and continued that lifestyle there after. I only considered graduate programs that would allow me to study abroad for no less than a semester if not more. I knew I had experience and developed an expertise in international marketing and always had a love for education but did not know how I was going to combine that with my passion of language learning, culture and study/ travel abroad. 

God and I had some serious conversations while in grad school about where my career was going once I earned my graduate degrees. Although I had some interesting and enriching work experiences before grad school nothing felt like the optimal fit. Thus I needed a new direction. Time was ticking and was about to complete my graduate studies but God came through. I knew exactly the industry I wanted to pursue, the position I would work towards, why I was passionate about it, and how I could be of great service as well as make a huge impact in my chosen field. I was gaining clarity in my career path and for that I was thankful.

When I started discussing my career focus and goals with my professors they thought that it would be an excellent fit. When I told my friends, family and some former colleagues they were like oh yeah that is a no brainer. When I started meeting people in the industry they could tell my passion for my career choice, my thought process and seriousness they got a glimpse of the knowledge I had about my industry and what I had to offer. Yet with all that said I still have not landed a full time salaried position in my chosen field in yup you guessed it, Study Abroad and International Programs. 

If this was years ago it may have caused me to reconsider my career choice or as I like to refer to it, my career calling but I am way too passionate and invested in it and know that I would make a tremendous impact in it so I press on or "lean in" as Sheryl Sandburg would say. Heck there came a point where I was not sure I was going to keep up with this blog anymore. There were points when this blog was a reminder that I wasn't where I wanted to be (hey this is full disclosure here) but I never give up as my bro Willie would say and I am the diligent one as my best friend Tyshawna likes to call me so instead  I continue to  press forward. I reminded myself that I did start this blog to get a job, although it allows me to stay connected to it, I started this blog to encourage others to step outside of their comfort zone and perceived limitations and truly explore the world near and far. I reminded myself that if one person reads, comments, likes this blog etc. my writing is not in vain. If/when more read this blog I have yet another reason to smile and dance. It's been 2 years since I started seeking full-time employment in Study Abroad and although  I am still in this phase of my career journey I figure that maybe my blog posts in this new section, "The Road to My Promised Land", could be uplifting to you or someone you may know who is going through a similar journey. I look forward to sharing more of this part of my journey with you.

If you are or have gone through a similar journey and want to connect or if you would like to share some advice or encouragement feel free to leave a comment.

Hasta pronto?

KoMiSa

No comments:

Post a Comment