Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Career Corner: A Chat with Malikah Morris

It gives me great pleasure to introduce you to Malikah Morris. Malikah is currently a junior majoring in English and Spanish at Hampton University. Gotta love my fellow hamptonians!!! Malikah is the current president of the Hampton University Chapter of Alpha Mu Gamma Modern Foreign Language Honor Society and promotes language learning on and off campus. As a former president of Hampton University's chapter of Alpha Mu Gamma, it was so interesting to share stories about the organization and learn about each others study abroad experiences. I was honored when she agreed to let me share her study abroad experiences with you!!! So with out further ado check out Malikah's interview on KoMiSa's World.

1. Where did you study abroad?
 I studied abroad in Granada,  Spain

2. When did you study abroad and how long did you stay?
I attended the University of Granada during the Summer 2013 term for a 6 week program.

3. What was your sole purpose for studying abroad? Did you accomplish that purpose?
My purpose for studying abroad was to advance my pursuit of my degree in Spanish. I left receiving 6 transferrable credits towards my Bachelors in Spanish, so yes I did accomplish my purpose. 

4. Were you initially excited and ready to go or were there any fears or reservations? If so what were they and how did you overcome them? If not what expectations ignited your excitement?
I was very eager to go. I've always been the one to break barriers and lead my mentees by example. I wasn't nervous at all. I was forewarned that it was uncommon for Black people to study abroad. My father had his own reservations about me going somewhere that I wouldn't be warmly accepted. When I arrived in Spain the people loved me. They treated me like a celebrity. In my program, I was one of two black girls. The other girl Camille, was raised in a very suburban privileged family while I come from one of the worst cities in the United States, Newark, NJ. The first two days, everyone in the program spent time together, getting to know one another. I quickly proved that I was just as eligible to be there as anyone else. My Oral Spanish aided to get us "lost Americans" back to our hotel and my comprehension of the language became a very useful tool throughout the entire program.

5. What was your experience like studying abroad? 
My study abroad experience was incredible. My host mom made great food everyday, three times a day. She also did laundry three times a week. I think it is important to have a host family who doesn't just do the minimum. My host mom noticed that I was very advanced and she and my roommate pushed me to speak more. I would answer questions but I never started a conversation. When I would speak she would always encourage me saying "well spoken/well said." She also made me break out of my shell and some nights she would tell me "go to karaoke tonight and sing, song beautifully Micah," and thus began me being a regular entertainer at the local karaoke bar.


 It was a unique experience learning things about the culture through experience and not via textbook. Even when we were learning via textbook the teachers spoke with more knowledge and more passion of the topics. 

Also, studying abroad is like a sophisticated party life. We went out almost every night and some of my friends even stayed out so late some nights that they left the club, and caught the bus to school. Sounds crazy, but it created priceless memories. Also, the fact that you couldn't uses your cell phone unless you found a place that had wifi force us to get to know each other and the people around us. The disconnect was very beneficial.

Being one of 5 black people in the entire school, and 12 in the province was a wonderful experience but it took getting used to. People would stop their eating and just look up at me. Other ethnic people like the Africans and the French people would come up to me speaking their language and I hadn't the slightest idea of what they were saying. Nevertheless they were happy to see their "sister there." I can't count how many times someone yelled Obama while I was walking down the street. Once you can accept the fact that you are unique to them, your experience will be better. I had chefs come out to meet me, people purchase me drinks, people take pictures of me with and without asking and so much more. It was eye flattering. 

6. How has studying abroad changed your life? You as a person? 
I see the world through another perspective now.The world is so much bigger than the U.S. Studying abroad has also helped me to have patience.  I am now being asked to do presentations and forums about my experience. Studying abroad has opened up so many windows of opportunity for me. I feel like I definitely have something on my resume that has the potential to separate me from my opponents.

7. Are you bilingual or multilingual? If so what languages do you speak? If so...(continue to the questions below)        
In Spain I was finally dubbed "bilingual" 

7a. How has studying/working abroad impacted your languages skills? 
My understanding grew significantly. I now know little jargons. I also now understand the Andalusian accent, and the Latin American accent of the Spanish language. 

7b. How has speaking another language or your willingness to learn the native tongue of the country impacted your abroad experience? 
When I finally let down my guard and spoke to people other than my teachers, waitresses, and my host mom when forced I noticed that the words and the language just came to me naturally. Often times we spend our lives holding on to our inhibitions, not realizing that if we just release them we can feel greater and be greater if we allow ourselves.

8. How has studying abroad affected your outlook on your collegiate experience now that you have returned to Hampton University?
Now that I've come back to Hampton I feel impelled to encourage my fellow classmates to do the same. When people notice my knowledge of certain topics, and see how studying abroad has made me take on the language with a new approach they commend me. I now also tutor students at my school because I am comfortable doing so and I teach 3 and 4 year olds at a local school here.  

9. What are your career aspirations and how has studying abroad affected those aspirations? 
I am very interested in law and public policy. I have always aspired to be a government official. After studying abroad, I am now looking to intern abroad this summer. If I do not receive and internship, I intend to intern in one of the respective fields above. After graduation, I would like to possibly build a career abroad and eventually return home to continue my quest in changing lives and making the world a better place.

10. Do you have any advice for others who want to study abroad?
Just do it! Don't let fear hold you back. First Lady Obama said it best "you can't make decisions based on fear and the possibility of what might happen."

11. Do you have a website, twitter name, Facebook  page, etc that you would like me to share so that the readers can find out more info and/ or connect with you?
Facebook: Malikah Morris

Hasta el Proximo Vez,

KoMiSa

No comments:

Post a Comment