Sunday, December 22, 2013

Career Corner: A Chat with Candace Quander

Gotta love my Hamptonians who Study/Work Abroad. Meet Candace, a fellow Hampton University Graduate who studied abroad in Guadalajara Mexico with  Joia Starks, Fatimah Rashad, (also featured on Career Corner)  and I during our undergraduate matriculation. I reconnected with Candace when she contacted me on Facebook to let me know that she took an opportunity to live and work abroad in Spain this year. Candace is having a great time in Spain and has graciously shared her experience here on KoMiSa's World. Enjoy!

1. Where did you study abroad?
I studied in Guadalajara, Mexico

2. When did you study abroad and how long did you stay?
I was there April to July 2004

3. What was your sole purpose for studying abroad? Did you accomplish that purpose?
I was there to complete the language requirements that all foreign language students had to do in order to graduate.

4. Were you initially excited and ready to go or were there any fears or reservations? If so what were they and how did you overcome them? If not what expectations ignited your excitement?
I was really excited to go. I had been abroad once before and since then, I had wanted to see the world. I was ok as long as I could talk to my family when I wanted to.

5. What was your experience like studying abroad?
It was good and some of it was bad. I learned a lot about me. I lived with a Mexican family and because I was an introvert, I stayed inside my room a lot. That is one thing that I regret. Though I was in Mexico to practice and become better at Spanish, I let my fears get the best of me when it came to speaking.

However, I enjoyed classes and hanging out with students from around the world. It was pretty cool meeting people from Japan and South Korea. The only language we could converse in was Spanish.
I did keep my perceptions open to a new culture. Obviously, everything isn't like America. The key is being able to adapt and take part in your new surroundings.


6. How has studying abroad changed your life? You as a person?
Studying abroad has made me want to travel abroad for a period of time or find a job that would allow me to live abroad in either Europe or South America.

7. Are you bilingual or multilingual? If so what languages do you speak? If so...(continue to the questions below)       
 I don't consider myself completely bilingual but I speak Spanish pretty well.

7a. How has studying/working abroad impacted your languages skills?
I am currently living and working in southern Spain and my Spanish has improved so much in the 3 weeks that I have been here. I basically live, breathe, sleep Spanish everyday.  I live in a town that isn't popular with tourist. It is 2 hours east of Sevilla and 4 hours south of Madrid. 
A handful of people speak English here. I say all of this to stress that I have no choice but to speak Spanish. It's great for me because I am completely immersed and am working on my listening, comprehension, and speaking skills.

7b. How has speaking another language or your willingness to learn the native tongue of the country impacted your abroad experience?
It's fantastic, it's the reason why I am here. I chose Spain because I wanted to improve my Spanish. But, sometimes I do miss English speakers. There are people in my program about 45-60 minutes away via bus or train or I can Skype friends and family in the States if I really want to speak my native tongue.

8. How has studying abroad impacted you career path and outlook?
8a. What is your current position and what does your position entail?
I am a Language & Culture Assistant. I'm working at a bilingual primary school where I am an assistant and I am teaching science classes in English.

8b. Is there an international aspect to your position?
Yes, all of these positions are international.


9. What characteristics does one need to pursue a position such as yours?
You have to have a college degree and apply to CIEE.


10. Do you have any advice for others who want to study abroad?
Go for it! It's the best thing I've ever done. I worked in Washington DC for a while but I haven't been as happy and stress free as I am now. You won't regret your experience!

12. Do you have a website, twitter name, Facebook  page, etc that you would like me to share so that the readers can find out more info and/ or connect with you?
Yes I have a blog, "See This Quander Abroad", to chronicle my time abroad in Spain. Feel free to check it out. http://thequanderabroad.blogspot.com/

Hasta el Proximo Vez,

KoMiSa

No comments:

Post a Comment